So I love chicken pot pie. It’s such a southern food and it makes me happy. Unfortunately it’s usually chock full of sodium, fat, and well more fat. But I took some stuff out of it and made it my way: I tried to cut out the saturated fats, carbs and the TONS of butter. I really liked it, my MOM really liked it.. So here you go y’all. Sorry this is sans pictures because, I was hungry and I forgot to take pictures as went along.
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
1 cup of chopped carrots
1/2 of green beans
1 cup of corn
1/2 cup of finely chopped potatoes
(Honestly add any kind of veggie you want here, I didn’t have the potatoes)
Approximately .25 lbs of chicken breast
3/4 cup of flour
3 tbsp of “Smart Butter” –i.e. vegetable spread that goes soft, almost liquid if at room temp.
1 chicken/veggie bullion
2 cups water
1/2 cup of milk (I used 2%)
**Bake chicken breast before using in the oven at 350 F*
1. Put water and bullion in a pot to make a stock. Put on med-high.
2. Add in 1/2 cup of milk.
3. Once the mixture starts to heat up, add butter in.
4. Allow to start boiling and add in flour. This step is critical. As you add the flour in you MUST whisk it, otherwise it will clump and look gross. Continue to whisk really fast until the mixture is smooth.
5. Add in veggies and allow to boil, but lower temperature to about medium. I personally like my veggies a little on the crispy side so I don’t let them boil as much.
6. Cut up chicken breast that you baked and add into mixture.
7. Salt and pepper to taste!